Whether you are looking for lakefront, riverfront, or salt-waterfront property, the Thurston county area offers no shortage of waterfront properties for sale in Olympia with breathtaking views from east to west and north to south.
For most people, buying waterfront property is more about buying a lifestyle than just a piece of property. The scenic lakes and salt water inlets in Olympia have lured families to their shores for generations to fish, boat and swim. There is no shortage of waterfront properties in Olympia including inexpensive cabins to luxury homes, there are waterfront properties for sale in Olympia for every budget.
Many factors influence property value. Boat landings, bulkheads, size of bank, restrictions, tideal boundaries, When considering buying waterfront property, there are ten important things you should consider before you start your search.
1. What kind of water frontage do you want? The frontage refers to how many sides of the property are fronted by the water. It’s important to learn about the different types of water frontage that are available as they impact not only the value of the land but what you can do with the property.
2. Do you want to be able to have a boat? The size of your boat is a critical factor in finding the right waterfront property where you can dock your boat in and out easily. Some lakes restrict the size of boats and the size of docks that you can build. TIf the property doesn’t currently have a dock it isn’t guaranteed that you will be able to build one.
3. Are you looking for a quiet setting where you can swim, kayak or canoe? If you are looking for that serene waterfront setting, you will want to check into what types of restrictions are on boating, jet skis and whether the waterway is a major thoroughfare. Finding a place that is not overrun with large boats and high traffic may be important.
4. What you want to be able to harvest shellfish? Since July 1, 1983 has it been possible to lease the beds of all navigable tidal waters for the cultivation of oysters or other shellfish. The waterfront property that you are looking at may or may not include the rights to the tidelands in front of the home. The tidelands may be leased out so that you would regularly have tons of people in front of the home harvesting oysters or shellfish, or it could be owned by a company that seeds and harvests large scale oyster beds. The tidelands are not automatically included in the sale of waterfront property.
5. Consider the kind of typography you want. With waterfront property, views are extremely important to the value of the land. It is essential that you understand how the house sits, or where you can build in relation to the waterfront. You need to be comfortable with any buffer requirements, setbacks or tree thinning that might be required with the property.
If you are considering looking for waterfront properties for sale in Olympia or other areas in Washington, work with an expert at Williams Stoffle Real Estate who can help guide you to that perfect waterfront property to call your next home.